spoon ring tutorial

1/22/12 Update: Many of you have been having trouble coming across sterling silver in your local thrift stores.  One place you can always find it is on ebay, but you will be paying more for the silverware.  You should be able to find a sterling silver fork or spoon for about $10-$15 on ebay, so if you are having no luck and are really wanting to make a ring, I’d suggest shopping there.

4/2/12 Update:  For a printable of the instructions and to see the updated photo tutorial, click here.

12/10/12 Update: To see video snippets of the tutorial, click here
————————————

Here it is ladies and gents – the highly anticipated spoon ring tutorial!  Before I get started, I just want to say how incredibly excited I am to have all you lovely new readers over here, and if you ever have any questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know!  So without further ado, I give you, the tutorial:

Things you will need:
  • Spoon (or fork) of your choosing – make SURE it is sterling silver
  • Metal cutter, hacksaw, or jewelry saw
  • File or sandpaper
  • Dowel or ring mandrel
  • Paper
  • Pen
  • Hammer or mallet (optional)
  • Butane torch (optional)
1. The first thing you are going to want to do is to decide what type of ring you want to make.  You can either make one that wraps up your finger (top image), or you can make one that wraps around itself (bottom image).  The one you choose determines the length of the handle (longer for the one that wraps up your finger).  For future reference, we’ll call the rings that wrap up your finger “type 1” and the kind that wrap around itself “type 2.”
Type 1

Type 2

2. Once you have picked out the type of ring to make, you then have to pick out your silverware of choice.  To find mine, I just went to a local thrift store where I got these for around 10 cents each.  When you do go buy your silverware, make sure it is sterling silver and not stainless steel (it will say on the back of the spoon).  I didn’t realize this at first, so my first attempt (pictured below), was with a stainless steel fork, and let’s just say, it didn’t work too well.  You’ll know it’s sterling silver if it says “900” or “925” on the back.

3. The next thing you will want to do is to measure your finger.  One of the easiest ways to do this is by simply cutting a strip of paper, wrapping it around your finger, and marking where it overlaps.  If you are making the type 2 ring, add an extra 1/4 in or so for the overlap.  If you are making the type 1 ring, this step isn’t as crucial because you will just continue wrapping it until you’ve used all of the handle of your silverware.
4. For this next step you will need your saw or metal cutter.  If you are making type 1, cut the handle right above the bowl.  For type 2, cut the handle at whatever length you measured in Step 3.
5. File the cut end with either a metal file or a coarse grit sandpaper.  Work your way down to a fine grit sand paper to get a super-smooth finish.
6. Now comes the fun (or frustrating!) part – bending the spoon.  There are several ways to accomplish this.  You can bend it around the dowel using shear force, you can hammer it around the dowel, or you can use a butane torch to heat it up before you bend it.  I found this little butane torch for $7 at Home Depot.  However, when I actually got the right kind of fork (sterling silver), I was able to bend it with just my hands.
If you do use a hammer, I recommend wrapping some sort of cloth (a dishtowel folded in half works well) around the head of the hammer and securing it in place with a rubber band.  This will help to protect the metal from scratches.
If you torch it, you’ll have to heat it up for awhile…but make sure you don’t let it start glowing orange.
7. This last step is optional, but if you so desire, you can polish or buff the ring for a shiny finish.
If you have any questions, please let me know…good luck!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

175 Responses to spoon ring tutorial

1. Beckers says:

This looks so fun! But I can’t find sterling silver silverware…

• Sometimes you can find some in garage sales or auctions . I got a few fancy looking silverware pieces in garage sales and now want to try this myself. I was lucky to find an Oneida Silver Salesman years ago , who was selling some and got 5 rings already made from the spoons. I am definitely a ring person.

2. I need to to thank you for this very good read!! I certainly loved every little bit of
    it. I’ve got you book-marked to check out new things you post_

3. I simply want to say I’m newbie to blogs and certainly enjoyed this web-site. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your website . You absolutely come with very good well written articles. Bless you for sharing with us your website.

4. So awesome Thank u for this :)

5. I featured your Spoon Ring Tutorial at Our Secondhand House today as part of a DIY Christmas Gift Inspiration post. I hope you will stop by and check it out.
    ~Bonnie

6. Kelly says:

My spoon handle ended up breaking in 3 pieces when I tried to wrap it around the mandrel. I made sure it was 100% sterling silver, but it was still very difficult to bend. I tried hammering it around the mandrel, but it just kept bending in two spots, where it eventually broke. What am I doing wrong?

• Kirsten says:

Hmm..I’m not sure. Sterling silver is really easy to bend and you shouldn’t really even have to ‘hammer’ it too hard. Was there a skinny spot that was weaker than another point? That could have been it.

7. Ashley says:

Any advice on what to get to cut the spoon? What type did you get? Where to buy it? Thanks!

8. patti says:

Great Tutorial! Easy directions! I found my silver plated Rogers 1909 pieces @ GW for $1.99…Didn’t want to wait to 1/2 price day with the chance it would be gone!.
    Thanks so much!
    Patti

9. colleen says:

thanks for this!
    one question- i’m having trouble bending the spoon after I cut off the right amount. at first i tried using sheer force, and I could by do it, but then I tried clamping it and using a hammer. it is a little difficult to shape onto my finger!! i’m getting so frustrated! please help!!

10. colleen says:

couldn’t ^* not could by haha sorry

11. colleen says:

one more quick thing, if I do use a torch, will the black stuff come off by sanding it out, or is there another way to get rid of the black stuff?

12. Susan says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial for the DIY spoon rings. I’m into rings and would love trying this. Now to find the spoons.

13. Because the admin of this website is working, no doubt very quickly
    it will be famous, due to its quality contents.

14. mobile games says:

I think this is one of the most important info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The site style is
    perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

15. Hanna Marbach says:

Hi, I saw your tutorial on the spoon ring and absolutely loved it! I have been wanting to do something with my grandmas old silverware and I was wondering if I could have your permission to make one for my county fair. Because of copyright rules would need your permission. Thank you for your time and I would love to hear back from you!

16. Jimmy says:

Stainless is hard to work with,sterling and plated silver are a lot easer. I find most of my sterling at estate sales. But wait until the last day, they will at most times reduce the price by 50 percent

17. Great post however , I was wondering if you could
    write a litte more on this subject? I’d be vefy grateful if you could eaborate a
    little bit more. Thank you!

18. I’ve been surfing online more tan three hlurs nowadays, yeet I by no means ound any interesting article like yours.
    It’s beautiful worth sufficient for me. In my view,
    if all webb owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably did, the net will likrly be a lot more useful than ever before.

19. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your website and in depth information you present.
    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same old rehashed material.
    Wonderful read! I’ve bookmarked your site
    and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

20. Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe that this
    amazing site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be back again
    to read more, thanks for the advice!

21. My brother recommended I may like this web site. He used to be totally right.
    This put up truly made my day. You cann’t imagine
    just how so much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

22. Michael Kennedy says:

awesome bridge between a nice classy ring that doesn’t break the bank for my girlfriend. i was wondering how did you get the ring slimmer? did you buy slim utensils or bend the ring slimmer and slimmer? thanks

23. Abi says:

I just happened upon this and i am fascinated. If i can’t find sterling silver what can i use?

24. Dawn says:

I am allergic to silver but I can wear stainless steel. Can we make rings out of SS?

Dawn

25. Anna Taylor says:

Hi! So Im having trouble finding sterling silver pieces on eBay… Why does it have to be sterling silver and not stainless steel?

26. Rachael says:

I really love these types of rings and have been looking for some all over. I’ve attempted finding spoons and forks with the fancy bottoms, but with no luck. Do you by any chance sell the rings you make like in the last picture?

27. Jane says:

I LOVE This! Thank you you much for posing I will do trying this out on the weekend.

28. Menal says:

Thank you. I really liked your work. You could also explore more about silver rings at discovered https://www.discovered.us/shop/jewelry/rings

29. Mary Platt says:

Try Replacements.com for silver-plate or sterling. if you shop their “damaged” goods with serious blemishes and scars (usually on the eating end of the utensil) you can sometimes find some really good bargains. I’ve used them to replace silver that I actually use but I think I will try using some of their blemished spoons for rings. Nice tutorial, by the way.

30. Belinda says:

I was wondering what you use to to buff and polish the ring?

31. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks|

32. I love these rings. I have 5 of them made from Oneida Silver spoons years ago , and bought them from an Oneida Silver Salesman. 4 of yours look a lot like mine and I wear them a lot. I have a few pieces of Old Silverware I got in garage sales and I would like to try making one myself. Thank you so much for sharing these and the tutorial !

33. Kim Davis says:

I learned to make the spoon ring and bracelet in high school , absolutely love them
    and will start making them again. Just need to go to some
    thrift stores.

34. Judit says:

This is great, thank you! I tried it and it was so easy, didn’t even needed to heat the spoon. I gave one to my sister for her birthday last week and she loves it!

35. Cindy says:

So, am I understanding that you are using silver plated spoons to make these rings?

36. Shannon says:

How do you get it to be round?

37. Sharla says:

Ok I’m years behind on this..I would luv to try with my moms set and make one for her kids and grandkids

38. Lynn Powis says:

Another way to test the silverware/
    ring to see if it is sterling silver is the good old magnet test. A magnet will not stick to sterling silver or gold.

39. Fritz Ursino says:

I never see the person have creative like you.thank you for sharing it :)

40. Sarah says:

These were popular in the ’70s when I was a child. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

41. Helen says:

Thank you so much for the tutorial which I too found on Pinterest. . I’m so lucky to live in the north where we have antique fairs and car boot sales galore!