our laundry closet makeover

Epic news on the homefront…our little laundry closet makeover is finally complete. And we did it all for just under $100. It’s been nearly done for a few months, but it took me awhile to get my act together and make the little labels for the baskets.  Prepare yourself for an obscene number of photographs of a glorified closet.

If you recall, I started the process by removing the ugly wire shelf, and painting the whole closet green to freshen it up a bit.  However, once everything was green, the white box where the water lines run became a huge, glowing eyesore since it was a white box in a sea of green.  To conquer this, I decided to run beadboard wallpaper up half the wall to disguise this little guy, which I think turned out pretty well, don’t you?
We then lived with the closet empty and shelfless for a solid 8 months or so, until I found that sweet shelf contraption.  It’s originally from Pottery Barn, but I got it for a $50 steal from Mr. Craig and his list.  The center shelf was just a little too long to fit in the closet, so we hauled it down to Noel’s parents house where Papa Dubs trimmed it down for us.
I knew I wanted space to hang clothes (so we could stop hanging our clothes in the shower while they dried), so we bought an expandable rod from Home Depot for a few bucks, and installed in once the shelves were hung.
Even though this was all fine and dandy and could have been complete since we now had ample storage space, I didn’t stop there.  I found those baskets on clearance for $5 each at Target (which fit like a GLOVE).  I wanted to put baskets on the shelves because it made the space feel more organized by hiding all of our laundry accessories.

And as if that wasn’t enough, I scored those two awesome beverage dispensers for a steal of a deal at Home Goods to hold our detergent and softener (sidenote, they look pretty, but don’t work very well…we’ve since gone back to using the bottles).

Then I went to town with my little ecraft cutter and started labeling EVERYTHING…
…which led to the end result of this happy little laundry closet.  Isn’t she pretty?

And here’s the price breakdown:
Martha Stewart Paintable Beadboard Wallpaper – $25 (Home Depot)
Moulding – $4 (Home Depot)
Expandable Hanging Rod – $10 (Home Depot)
Paint – $6 (two little samples from Home Depot)
Shelving Unit – $50 (Craigslist)

Total: $95

If you were to include the cost of the beverage dispensers and the baskets, it brings the total to $135.  Overall, not bad for a huuge improvement.  Plus, it makes laundry much more enjoyable. :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

21 Responses to our laundry closet makeover

1. Lauren says:

You and your labels :) Love !!

2. Elle says:

Looks soo great!! We currently have a blah washer/dryer closet but it’s a rental so we can’t change too much. I do want to get some cute baskets and I’m LOVING your detergent dispensers.

3. SO cute. It looks a million times better. Our laundry closet is in the basement and it doesn’t even have drywall. The rest of the basement was finished nicely at some point, but not that part.

4. Lisa says:

I love it! Come redo my laundry area!

5. Olivia says:

It’s lovely! What color and brand of paint did you use? Thanks!

6. Love it! Been looking to do something with my laundry closet for a long time, now I know where to start thanks! Can you tell me more about the cabinets? You said they are originally PB, do you know what they are called? Trying to find something similar..

7. Fantastic job! Have you considered adding a ledge directly above the appliances? I’ve seen where some people have added a narrow one above their top loaders to keep items from falling behind, like a top that slips off a hanger into the laundry room black hole.

8. Joy says:

my laundry room is the same as your old one. thanks for sharing this idea….this is definitely gonna be my next project.

9. Lisa says:

Where did you get the labels on your baskets?

10. Janelle says:

My laundry closet is the exact same size with the exact same layout! Ours also has that ugly wire rack hanging in it and I despise it! Thank you so much for this idea!

11. Whitney says:

Ohh it’s sad the beverage dispensers don’t work because they are PERFECT.

The whole project looks great!

12. Roci says:

Hello this is so awsome…. where did you get then dispensers for the detergent????

13. Amber says:

Very nice! where did you get the detergent dispensers?

14. Gloria Benaroch says:

i’d love to know more about the ecrafter and your labels.Thanks. Love the new loook.

15. Megan Lovelace says:

This is a long shot, but any chance you would sell me the beverage dispensers? Mine broke and I’ve been looking everywhere for one like it and these are as close as I can find. Thanks in advance!!!