French or Russian Netting
Optional: Flower or lace
1. To begin, you first need to purchase the material you will make your birdcage veil out of. I used French netting because it isn’t as stiff as Russian netting, and I didn’t want to have a really poufy veil. The French netting is much softer. When I bought it, I bought 1 yard of 19” French netting, and just cut it down. The dimensions you trim the width to are completely dependent upon how large of a veil you want. The wider it is, the bigger the veil/the more of your face it will cover. You’ll have to play around with it by wrapping it around your head/face to determine how large you want it.
3. After cutting the fabric, you will make two diagonal cuts. I started my cuts about 8” up on each side, but these cuts don’t have to be exact. Make sure you make the diagonal cuts on the cut edges, leaving the finished edge untouched on the bottom.
4. When your fabric looks like this, the sewing begins. Starting at one corner, secure your thread to the netting by tying a small knot. Then weave your needle and thread in and out through the tiny squares, moving your way around the edge. You will weave the fabric along the blue lines in my picture.
5. After you have weaved all the way around, the ends will bunch together like this. Secure the ends together by tying off the thread.
6. Sew the bunched end onto the comb. Some people will wrap tulle around the end of the comb before attaching the veil – that is completely up to you. I didn’t. Sorry the picture is a little dark – the comb is there but you really have to look.
7. At this point, you can either cut off any extra thread and be done, or you can sew a flower or some lace on top of your comb to disguise it. I made a couple different veils. In one, I added lace on top. However, for the one I wore on my wedding day, I didn’t add anything on it because I found a different flower comb I wanted to wear. Instead, I just placed the big flower comb over the veil’s comb.
As always, let me know if you have any questions. Happy crafting!